Good served with Tabouli Salad or with warmed pita bread and Spinach Salad with ripe tomatoes.
4 cups cooked squash or pumpkin,
mashed or puréed
1 Tbs. olive oil
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
2 small bell peppers
(one red and one green, if possible) minced
4 or 5 medium cloves garlic, minced
Black pepper and cayenne, to taste
1/2 cup firm yogurt
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
Optional: Sunflower seeds and/or
minced walnuts, for the top
Preliminary: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
1. Place the mashed or puréed squash in a large bowl.
2. Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet. Add onion, and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add salt and bell peppers. Sauté about 5 minutes, or until the peppers begin to get soft.
3. Add garlic, black pepper, and cayenne, and sauté a few more minutes.
4. Add the sauté, along with yogurt and feta, to the squash, and mix well. Spread into an ungreased 9-inch square baking pan, sprinkle the top lightly with sunflower seeds and/or minced walnuts.
5. Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly.